HOME|LOGIN| REGISTER|MEMBERS LIST|UPDATE PROFILE|FORUM|PICTURE GALLERY|CHATROOM|CONTACT US|TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Welcome Visitor, Please Login, you have 0 new personal messages

Laptop problem - Posted on 2004-12-12 17:31:11

hornyangel
1000cc Pro Racer

United Kingdom

we have borrowed a laptop off a m8...... but we cant connect it to the internet as we have broadband modem!! So we cant just plug it into the phone line......who can help how do i do it ? Am i best to call NTL and ask if i need extra leads to run from the back of the ntl modem? HELP ME PLEASE hehehehehe

Replies

Laptop problem - Posted on 2004-12-12 17:41:33

joeboxer
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

Can't help with the connections angel but i saw in the news the other day that laptops can cook your balls - keep it away from ninja's gonads lol.

Laptop problem - Posted on 2004-12-12 18:37:37

firebladebabe
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

kez .....snap here.....got a laptop for johns xmass ....yes he found it guess i better find better hinding place next time and we have broadband too. lucky ours comes with a phone line connection thingy that you plug into your linebox your pals laptop should have came with one oh and i think you need a laptop modem thingy too

Laptop problem - Posted on 2004-12-12 21:21:50

mathewp
400cc Rider 

United Kingdom

if its like my ntl modem it comes with usb and network connectors. see if laptop has either (it probably will) Then install it the same as you did when you first plugged it into your own computer.

Laptop problem - Posted on 2004-12-12 21:24:35

mathewp
400cc Rider 

United Kingdom

oops Forgot to mention, you can only have the ntl modem plugged into one computer at a time so if you set it up with laptop you will have to redo it for your computer. I been told you can set it up in a network with more than one computer, but don't know how that works, think you need a hub or something.

Laptop problem - Posted on 2004-12-12 22:11:21

thecatlass
250cc Rider 

United Kingdom

Heloooo most broadband modems have usb lead support so if you've got usb on your laptop your sorted. you just need to load the software that came with the modem. if not, you need a network of ethernet card in your pcmcia(or whatever its called) slot. network can be a pain in the arse to set up (i've yet to try that) so you can get a usb pcmcia card and put the modem straight into that. i'm off before i sound even more like an anorak! gail xx

Laptop problem - Posted on 2004-12-12 22:18:03

hornyangel
1000cc Pro Racer 

United Kingdom

Thanks buys.......right i wont to connect both internt to pc and laptop at same time!! Cat i have a ethernet cable........not sure where the hell it goes in the laptop as this one is about 7 years old...........the ethernet is the only hole left in the back of modem

Laptop problem - Posted on 2004-12-12 22:20:55

hornyangel
1000cc Pro Racer 

United Kingdom

oppps i mean guys not byes..............where is the bloody edit button pmsl

Laptop problem - Posted on 2004-12-12 22:47:28

Roeby
1300cc Superstar 

United Kingdom

Don't talk to me about laptops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! came home last night Marks had shut it self down, managed to get it to boot to find it had a fatal disk problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He satyed up until 5am this morning trying to get stuff off it and he has spent all day doing the same thing!! Managed to get all his main stuff off but now got to go and buy a new one cos altho its still under warrenty (by about 10 days) it has to go away to be fixed so it won't be back in time for him to take away on holiday. Talk about don't rain but it pours!! I'll be glad to see the back of this year lol

Laptop problem - Posted on 2004-12-13 11:52:24

hornyangel
1000cc Pro Racer 

United Kingdom

Not a good day then hun....sends hugs.......can they not just give you a refund ? Still need help to work this out ???? ethernet ??

Laptop problem - Posted on 2004-12-13 12:13:16

AnimalMother
600cc Boy Racer 

United Kingdom

Right, here is how you can connect your laptop to broadband. 1. As stated earlier, if you don't mind having just the laptop on Broadband (BB) you can install the modem onto the laptop using the installation disk you got with it and plugging it into the laptop via a USB slot (if thats what connection it uses or using the ethernet slot). 2. You can "hard" network it into your computer by plugging a RJ45 Cat 5 Crossover cable (network cable, cheap from ebay) between the laptop and desktop PC. You then run the network setup wizard on the PC (desktop) and this will guide you through. 3. You can wireless network the laptop and desktop by buying a wirelees network kit. The type of kit depends upon what slots the laptop and desktop PC have. This is a quite expensive way to do it. Do you have an Xbox or PS2 set up to the internet through a router or anything? Personaly, with the laptop being so old, I would say not to bother, but if you must, Iwould say the best option is the network cable option as it will only cost you abot £6 and both computers ban go on t'internet at the same time. Hope this helps, if you want me to clarify anything, just ask.

Laptop problem - Posted on 2004-12-13 12:28:31

hornyangel
1000cc Pro Racer 

United Kingdom

fantastic thanks mother..........no we dont have ps2 linked up we aint that clever pmsl Will have to by a cable....to network them.

Laptop problem - Posted on 2004-12-15 13:37:04

hornyangel
1000cc Pro Racer 

United Kingdom

Oh wicked thank you mike.....ill get Ian to by one on sat!!!!

Copyright 2005 2wheeltalk.com
All rights reserved

Hosted by
Hosted by IDAQ